Saturday 1 April 2017

Has cat ʻstuffʼ taken ofer your home?

cat ʻstuffʼ 




I was recently amazed to find how many items in my home feature cats: here is a tongue in cheek look at receiving cat-themed gifts

Have you ever looked around your living room or bedroom and counted the number of catrelated items there? I’m not talking scratch posts or litter trays - more, cat-embellished photo frames, mugs or cushions.
 Since when did being a cat lover invite friends and family to assume that you wish everything you own to have a cat on it? Of course Im exaggerating slightly but it seems that every time my birthday or Christmas comes around, I am inundated with gifts that are either cat-shaped (door stop, ornaments, key ring) or have a picture of cats on them (cushion, tote bag, coasters, photo frameand many more!). I didnt ask for this theme for my giftsthey just keep appearing.

 Dont get me wrong - Im very grateful for my gifts and on the whole they are very tasteful and I like them a lot. It just fascinates me how many different cat-themed items I seem to be accumulating. For instance, after this Christmas I now own a very comfy cushion that has the most gorgeous, close up photo of a cats eyes on it; a set of coasters bearing rather amusing pictures of cartoon cats and a couple of plush velour tabbies plus one tartan kitty that are the best behaved cats I have ever owned. They dont pester me for food but are happy to be cuddled and stroked all the same. Wonderful.

When I go out I pass a cat-shaped plant pot by my porch, usually filled with cat grass or other greenery. I take cats for a walk by wearing one of three pairs of cat earrings, a silver cat brooch on my coat lapel and carry a black shopping bag with cats rule emblazoned across each side. As I step into my hallway a sign urges visitors to love me, love my cat’…most do but I cant be certain the cat will reciprocate.


 If you can draw or paint cats then Im sure you must be one of the many designers featured on the cat-themed birthday cards that land on my doormat each year. Glittery cats, cats in hats, cats with big Cheshire-cat-like grins, cats in wellington boots, cats asleep, cats looking through a windowyou name it, Im sure Ive had that card at one time or another. They do brighten the place up though and prevent the need to dust the window sill for a few days!

My real cat, Smudge, doesnt seem to mind these imposters too much and to be honest, I actually look forward to seeing what will be added to my collection next. Smudge will usually take a quick glance and, if he approves, a sniff or two but he knows hes always going to occupy the number one spot in my cat stuff as far as Im concerned.

0 commentaires: